Sunday, April 3, 2011

4/3: Fooood Baby and Transformations

I just went to The Melting Pot with my family. It was sooo good but I'm so full! Aaaah, cheese and flaming chocolate, you will be the death of me!

So now I have a food baby. I shall name her Jocelyn. I have no reasoning for that.

But what I really wanted to blog about was the transformative properties of clothes. I'm going to preface this by pointing out that I am hardly a fashionista. I am pretty much terrified to move to New York because everyone always looks so good there while my typical outfit is my Man Pants from Wal-Mart, my beat-up, smelly, 4 year old Uggs, and a wrock t-shirt that got covered in Drooble's Best Blowing Gum when my dog ripped up a whole box all over my room.

But something I noticed in my prom dress perusing is that clothes can completely transform you. I walked into a store today in the outfit that I just described (well I was wearing jeans but they were my barn jeans so they're hardly better than the Man Pants) and 15 minutes later, I looked like a freaking Disney Princess. My hair was as tousled as ever, my face was free of make-up, and I was wearing mismatched socks but it didn't matter. I looked like I was on my way to a high society ball. This is crazy to me.

Another example is when I went shopping yesterday, I walked in wearing a faux leather jacket, leather boots, and dark skinny jeans and the girl looked surprised when I immediately gravitated towards the Kaylee dress with its bright pink ruffles and long train. She showed me a dark purple dress covered in black tulle and I said it was too dark and she looked confused. I guess I looked like "too dark" isn't in my vocabulary.

It's probably because I do not understand fashion but I don't understand the concept of a "personal style." I like my gross sweats, I like my leather boots and jacket, and I like my tie-dyed and/or floral summer dresses. I dress like a hippie one day and a biker or something the next or else I'll combine the looks and look completely ridiculous but I was cold and the leather jacket was right there! And sometimes I want to look like a Disney Princess.

Which brings me to the prom dress reveal: I am ordering Dress #1 but in yellow. Then I'm going to do my hair like Belle's but with a tiara. Because when the hell else can you wear a tiara?

I still need a date. Does anyone want to dress up as the beast?

Today is awesome because: I'm done prom shopping. WOOOO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment